Nigiri is a kind of sushi that is made by hand. It often consists of a layer of rice with a little wasabi and a piece of fresh fish on top. It is a popular type of sushi that you can find in Japanese restaurants. Of course, you can also make it yourself so read on to see our recipe.
Nigiri Sushi mostly consists a base of sushi rice with fresh fish and a little bit of wasabi. Well-known fish species used for Nigiri include: salmon, tuna, eel, squid and tamagoyaki (a Japanese omelette). Below you can see what you need to prepare your own Nigiri Sushi.
Sushi rice seasoning/vinegar
- Prepare the sushi rice. Don't know how to make sushi rice? Then read this blog.
- Did you cook and season the sushi rice? Then proceed to the next step.
- Cut your fish of choice into elongated pieces with a sharp knife. Make sure that the pieces are not too big.
- Wet your hands with water to prevent the rice from sticking to your hands.
- Take a bit of sushi rice in your hand and gently shape it into a ball.
- Then put a piece of fish on top and gently press it with your fingers.
- Serve the Nigiri with wasabi, ginger and soy sauce.
Would you like to make Nigiri and other types of sushi, but you don't have anything at home yet? View our special sushi boxes. In these boxes you will find all the ingredients you need to make sushi yourself. You only need to add is the fresh fish and/or vegetables.